Enzo sees the future
Our old, old, old friend Enzo Bordello has been laying low for the last year or so, but he seems to be sniffing about the web again in search of the latest operatic news. He’s uncovered quite a trove over at Brad Wilber‘s Met Futures page. Enzo’s sum-up:
- Maria Guleghina‘s star appears to be on the ascent again. In addition to Aida and Norma (!) next season, she is slated for Lisa in Pique Dame and her role debut as Turandot in 2008-2009.
- Marcello Giordani, Marcelo Alvarez and Giuseppe Filianoti will all share the role of Edgardo in the next season’s Lucia di Lammermoor revival.
- Philip Langridge continues a Met tradition with appearances as the Witch in next season’s Hansel and Gretel production.
- Vienna darling Elina Garanca debuts as the Barbiere Rosina next season.
- Prokofiev’s The Gambler returns next season with Vladimir Galouzine reprising his critically acclaimed Aleksei.
- Roberto Alagna sings his first Met Andrea Chenier next season.
- A new production of Thais is scheduled for 2008-2009. No casting details but one can only assume this is a vehicle for Renee Fleming and Thomas Hampson.
- Karita Mattila has apparently come to terms with whatever her alleged issues were with the Met’s Salome production and reprises her triumph in the title role for 2008-2009.
- Lulu and Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk return to the repertoire in 2009-2010.